Fatally Flawed Species
Comment by Larry Ross, September 16, 2006
Leuren Moret's article indicates that we are a seriously flawed species. Thousands of people in the U.S., UK and Israel are co-operating with their governments to spread tons of DU in many locations, knowing that that it is a killer for all eternity. They are deliberately using nuclear mass destruction weapons - that's what DU weapons are.
Only a tiny few like Leuren Moret, blow the whistle and do something about this crime. With a half life of 4.5 billion years, that means the DU dust with eventually contaminate the whole planet. That means every man, woman and child will be exposed to this poisonous killer weapon forever. Many will die early deaths and many will be deformed from birth. It's a war crime against Iraqis. But it's also a war crime against Americans and every other nationality. I hope people will come to understand, that whereas criminal psychopaths may order that this DU eternal killer weapon to be used, it is supposedly perfectly normal people who obey the orders to use it - and say nothing. We are ruled by criminal psychopaths, and the many millions of people who have no hesitation about blindly following, these monsters, and executing their orders - even if their own children and future generations will be forever contaminated and eventually die from the poison they spread. Do such people really expect the human race to continue to live and prosper on this planet? We are really digging our own grave. No wonder the enthusiastic cheer-leading, pro-war, ignore the terrible facts about using DU and cover up the true character of their so-called 'leaders.'
Now I understand the old saying "Power corrupts, and Absolute Power corrupts absolutely"
Depleted Uranium is WMD
A re-posted summary of why the use of DU weapons is an extreme crime against humanity and the environment. The major users of DU munitions are the US, UK, and Israeli administrations, despite warnings and protests by their own citizens. Not mentioned below: 1. DU dust is radioactive 'forever', with a half life of 4.5 billion years. 2. Of the 700,000 approx. Gulf War1 veterans, not only are over 518,000 medically disabled, over 11,000 are now dead. http://www.commondreams.org/views05/0809-33.htm - Tuesday, August 29, 2006
From: Rainbow Flight
Depleted Uranium is WMD
by Leuren Moret, Battle Creek Enquirer, August 9, 2005
My grandfather, U.S. Army Col. Edwin Joseph McAllister, was born in Battle Creek in 1895. He does not know that his first grandchild is an international expert on depleted uranium. I have worked in two U.S. nuclear weapons laboratories, and in 1991 I became a whistleblower at the Livermore lab. Depleted uranium is very, very, very nasty stuff:
- Depleted uranium (DU) weaponry meets the definition of weapon of mass destruction in two out of three categories under U.S. Federal Code Title 50 Chapter 40 Section 2302.
- DU weaponry violates all international treaties and agreements, Hague and Geneva war conventions, the 1925 Geneva gas protocol, U.S. laws and U.S. military law.
- Since 1991, the U.S. has released the radioactive atomicity equivalent of at least 400,000 Nagasaki bombs into the global atmosphere. That is 10 times the amount released during atmospheric testing which was the equivalent of 40,000 Hiroshima bombs. The U.S. has permanently contaminated the global atmosphere with radioactive pollution having a half-life of 2.5 billion years.
- The U.S. has illegally conducted four nuclear wars in Yugoslavia, Afghanistan and twice in Iraq since 1991, calling DU "conventional" weapons when in fact they are nuclear weapons.
- DU on the battlefield has three effects on living systems: it is a heavy metal "chemical" poison, a "radioactive" poison and has a "particulate" effect due to the very tiny size of the particles that are 0.1 microns and smaller.
- The blueprint for DU weaponry is a 1943 Manhattan Project memo to Gen. L. Groves that recommended development of radioactive materials as poison gas weapons - dirty bombs, dirty missiles and dirty bullets.
- DU weapons are very effective kinetic energy penetrators, but even more effective bioweapons since uranium has a strong chemical affinity for phosphate structures concentrated in DNA.
- DU is the Trojan Horse of nuclear war - it keeps giving and keeps killing. There is no way to clean it up, and no way to turn it off because it continues to decay into other radioactive isotopes in over 20 steps.
- Terry Jemison at the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs stated in August 2004 that over 518,000 Gulf-era veterans (14-year period) are now on medical disability, and that 7,039 were wounded on the battlefield in that same period. Over 500,000 U.S. veterans are homeless.
- In some studies of soldiers who had normal babies before the war, 67 percent of the post-war babies are born with severe birth defects - missing brains, eyes, organs, legs and arms, and blood diseases.
- In southern Iraq, scientists are reporting five times higher levels of gamma radiation in the air, which increases the radioactive body burden daily of inhabitants. In fact, Iraq, Yugoslavia and Afghanistan are uninhabitable.
- Cancer starts with one alpha particle under the right conditions. One gram of DU is the size of a period in this sentence and releases 12,000 alpha particles per second.
Before my grandfather died, he told me that his generation had made a mess of this planet. I wonder what he would say to me now I would tell him to see "Beyond Treason" ( www.beyondtreason.com ), a new documentary about the history of treason by the U.S. government against our own troops: Atomic veterans, MK-Ultra, Agent Orange and DU. After Vietnam, Henry Kissinger said, "Military men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in foreign policy. . ." (from Chapter 5 in the "Final Days" by Woodward and Bernstein).
Leuren Moret is an international radiation specialist, with a B.S. degree in geology from University of California at Davis, a M.A. degree in Near Eastern studies from University of California at Berkeley and has done post-graduate work in the geosciences at UC-Davis. She is environmental commissioner for the City of Berkeley, Calif.
© 2005 Battle Creek Enquirer